abosely

Aloha From Big Island HI

8 posts in this topic

Aloha everyone, I'm on the Big Island Hawaii. Building a 72' Series III SWB, LHD and and building a new SIIA bulkhead. Dave from Westlakes All Wheel Drive is putting a bulkhead 'kit' for me, building a new chassis from 3.5mm material and Richards Chassis outriggers and cross members 2 & 3, building cross members 1, 4 & 5. Rear cross member is being built out of .188 material.

Using modified Land Cruiser FJ60 axles and diffs, 300Tdi moved forward 102mm, Stubby R380, Ashcroft adapter kit to mate series TC to the gearbox. 

Going to be using all the Buzz Weld products with the best combinations that Craig suggests. This should be fun! :-) Putting the Buzz Weld stuff on the pallet with the 300Tdi & gearbox to get it all here to me.

Cheers, Allen

2 people like this

Welcome abosely, sounds like quite the project you got going there. Keep us updated with pictures please!

Hi Abosely.

Looking forward to seeing this. Would you find a members vehicles section useful for your project build?

1 person likes this

On 5/16/2017 at 1:17 AM, Craig Jones said:

Hi Abosely.

Looking forward to seeing this. Would you find a members vehicles section useful for your project build?

Absolutely, I would like to share the various Buzzweld coatings and the results. I'm going to be starting with bare metal and using whatever you recommend for the best possible long term results. 

I finished laying out the FJ60 axle housings this eve. the front will be 59"/1500mm and the rear 57-1/2"/1460mm WMS to WMS. Have to get a little bit of machining done on the ends of the housings hopefully next week. 

Will have 4 wheel disc brakes and full float rear axle.

Cheers, Allen 

1 person likes this

A bit of an update on my build. Last week I found a 69' Series IIA SWB, bringing it home in next couple days (today is 5/23) and will use it for my build instead of the SIII. 

But not to worry, I'm giving the SIII to my nephew and he is going to rebuild her. We will be working on our builds together, we live next door to each other, he's 20 and a pretty good hand with a wrench, between the two of us we're pretty well set for any tools needed.

The SIII had sat for a few years after a guy with a marine engine shop rebuilt most of the drive line. New axles, rebuilt diffs etc. The frame is in pretty good shape, actually in very good shape, so he is using it. I already bought foot-wells, door pillars, feet rain drip channel, full width vent repair panels from YMR & he's buying them from me. I'm jut going to buy one of Dave Marsh's SIIA bulkhead now.

I'm building us bolt on gearbox cross-members using 2"x1.5"- 3/16" wall tubing and bolt on under flywheel cross-members with 3"x2"- 3/16" with 3/16" plats on the ends to bolt 4- 3/8" grade 8 bolts through the frame using 3/16" wall crush tubes welded in chassis rails.

He's going to get a 200Tdi and rebuild it, but not use the turbo, so it will be a new 2.5L diesel, getting good mpg and enough power without over stressing the drive line, using the SIII gearbox.

I'm building a new frame from 3.5mm metal well, I'm building the chassis rails, cross-members, rear cross member is being built out of 3/16" material, and buying 109 Military dumb irons, rear Australian Military SWB spring hangers (they have two holes like the dumb irons) and six outriggers, 300Tdi motor mounts (the ones that weld onto rails) from Richards Chassis. Then of course treating the inside and outside with Buzzweld products!

Hey Craig, if you add a form for builds I'll post up a build thread and can show pics of all your products and how I'm using them. Since I'm going from ground up with either new or at least bare metal on everything, it would be nice to show a full house best possible compo nets and processes being used. 

Cheers, Allen

1 person likes this

We go pickup the 69' SIIA tomorrow, (Saturday) morning! :-D

In the next few days I'll start a build thread listing the build ie. what's going to be done, and put up some pics of getting going.

it will be a bit slow till second wk of August, that's when I'll have more funds to really get to rocking.

Between and then will be a lot of soda, bead & sand blasting stuff. 

Cheers, Allen

1 person likes this

i have several projects on right now, and they get updated as and when really.

1 person likes this